Sunday, January 29, 2012

over one-third down!

thanks for sticking by us, even though i haven't updated this blog in far too long.  we have been on a rollercoaster ride for sure!

friday night found us at the fallbrook emergency room.  my dad's feet were both purple and ice cold, and we were concerned about possible blood-clots.  after being there for about 5 hours the doctor ruled out blood-clots, but did tell us to follow up with a doctor to further monitor the blood flow in my dad's legs.  we are hoping to get in to a doctor at UCSD tomorrow about this situation.

last thursday the radiation doctor at UCSD lowered the amount of steroids my dad is taking.  the steroids help with the inflamation around the 2 tumors.  even with that reduction we have seen marked improvement on my dad's left side.  talk about blessings and miracles! 

dad has been able to move his left arm more, even twice lifting his arm off of the bed and onto his chest.  we are now seeing movement in dad's left leg as well!  sometimes he can move his left ankle back and forth, and up and down.  it is so exciting to see this because the neuro-oncologist was not originally very encouraging about my dad regaining mobility on his left side.  we are just thrilled!

as of last thursday my dad was one-third of the way done with the radiation and chemotherapy treatments.  we have renamed the chemo pills "tumor busters." 

the treatments are very hard on dad.  they leave him extremely exhausted.  driving him to and from ucsd each day is grueling for him.  but everytime he comes out of radiation he is so happy.  he knows that it is helping him and he is so thankful.  dad has lost about 50 pounds since his diagnosis.  the treatment has really reduced his appetite.  thanks to dear friends from church and other friends and family nearby, we are frequently blessed with lovely and healthy meals for our whole family.

we are humbled daily by the offerings of others.  just today someone left "love notes" and letters from people wishing my dad well.  people have brought over delicious treats, mailed beautiful letters, accompanied us to treatment, given my dad inspirational speeches to listen to, and zillions of other kindnesses.  it is special to me to see people be so loving to my parents.  i am brought to tears often by people's generosity.

thank you all for your continued support.  please continue to pray for my dad.  we believe in miracles and are seeing them unfold before us.  please feel free to leave comments here for my dad/family.  he really loves hearing the notes that people send.  they cheer him and touch his heart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan-
Please let your dad know he is one of my all-time heroes. I love him so much. I continue to pray for him daily. May the spirit of peace and comfort be with each of you.
Love always-
Ryan Smith

Delynn said...

Love knows no miles. We are with you in our hearts and enjoy the miracles with you. Thank you for keeping your friends/extended family updated. We will keep his name in the Accra temple.

MommyBrec said...

Just wanted you to know we love you are we are praying for you :)

Elizabeth said...

Praying for you all from Hawaii. Lots of aloha your way.

I was friends with so many of your ward's youth growing up. Including Megan. I can't tell you how many bits of knowledge and wisdom they passed on from you. Things that helped me as a youth and young adult to strengthen my testimony. I am so thankful you took the time to teach them so much and they took the time to teach it to me!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick,

Not sure if you remember me, but I was Brynn's best friend growing up in Fallbrook- Shannon Geraghty. I just got caught up on Megan's blog and have been thinking and praying for you and your whole family. It sounds like things are going well and I will pray that they continue. Hang in there and keep that great sense of humor that I remember so well:) I know you have a wonderful family surrounding you for support.

Take Care!
~Shannon