Monday, January 16, 2012

treatment has begun

my dad started chemotherapy and radiation last thursday.  he will have 42 days of chemo in all.  the chemotherapy is in pill form, that he takes every night.  the radiation treatment is performed at UCSD in la jolla 5 days a week, for 6 weeks.  he has now had the chemotherapy for four days and is tolerating it well so far.  he is very tired, as is to be expected. 

one of the many wonderful things about my dad is his positvity.  he is so optimistic and so gracious.  his heart is full with love for and from our Heavenly Father.  he tells us many times a day how he marvels at how good God is.

because of where one of the tumors is located, my dad has completely lost the use of the left side of his body.  the tumor is pressing on the fibers in the brain that control mobility on his left side.  his left arm and leg have been paralyzed.  he has feeling on the left side, just not the ability to move it.  the doctors don't know if he will re-gain mobility after treatment. but we have been very hopeful.

every day my mom takes my dad's left hand and asks him to squeeze her hand.  of course, he has not been able to do it.  tonight, however, my dad could move his fingers.  he couldn't really squeeze, but he could move his hand!  just a pure miracle!!!

thank you so very much for all of your prayers and good thoughts.  we appreciate them endlessly.  my dad loves it when you leave comments here for him, so if you feel like it - please do.

after two days of chemotherapy, we told my dad "only 40 days left!"  and his response was... "like the flood."  we will weather the storm of the 40 days and then we will be looking for our rainbow.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

What a beautiful post. We arrived back in Melbourne today & I appreciate your updates as I am so far away. I love you President Holladay & you'll have your name in the temple down here in Melbourne. Big hugs & kisses & stay strong!

Rachel Clark

the smiths said...

Hello Brother Holladay!! I am hoping today is a good day for you and you're not feeling too weak. What great news about your hand!! I am so happy to hear that you have already made some progress and can move your hand again! Our bodies are truly amazing. I'm so happy to hear about your positive attitude and am not surprised at all. One day at a time! Stay strong! We are praying for you and Shelley and your family.

love,
Rachel Smith

the smiths said...

Hey, I just remembered something that might help you. I am a dental hygienist and there is product that we recommend to cancer patients who suffer from oral/throat pain from treatments. I don't know if this is a problem for you yet or ever will be, but in case you have that problem this can help ease the pain and help to be able handle eating more normally. It is called MI Paste and it is sold by prescription through your dentist- its $20 here but probably comparable cost there. It is a calcium phosphate cream (not a replacement for regular toothpaste) that is primarily used to help with teeth sensitivity & re-mineralization. When you get the plain version (not MI paste plus) there is no fluoride and it is completely safe and is actually edible. This plain version is the one recommended for cancer patients. To help with sensitivity and mouth pain you smear a pea sized amount around your oral tissues wherever you're sensitive and you can swallow it. Let me know if you have any questions about how to use it or need help finding this. Just thought you may benefit from this, but if not just disregard.

Take care
-Rachel

jj said...

We are so happy for this good day! So glad for the movement in your hand, Pres. Holladay. Much Love, Terry and Janice Johnson (old Fallbrook friends;)

Jacque said...

Megan,
Life brings us so many challenges, things we never expected to happen to us. Throughout all of your dad's health issues he has remained so positive and always smiling in the midst of difficulties. What an example he sets for all of us. Talking to him and watching him...he truly understands about life and our purpose on this earth. He exemplifies a man of great faith. I never feel any fear or negativity or "why me?" from your dad. Please give him and your mom a big hug and know that your family is in our prayers.

With love,
Jacque Holladay

The Lingo Family said...

I was in Fallbrook this last week visiting my parents, and I attended church with them Sunday. President Hatch spoke of you with tears in his eyes in Sacrament. You are so loved and I hope you know that. Lots of prayers and happy thoughts for you coming from over here in Pennsylvania!!! :)