Thursday, March 8, 2012

in the hospital

a week ago today my dad was admitted to ucsd thornton hospital.

we took him in the middle of the night to the emergency room because he was running a fever.  with such a low white blood cell count any fever was dangerous.  he was also experiencing a lot of pain in his sternum area and his lungs sounded pretty bad.

long story short, they have been treating him for pnuemonia and esophogial candidia.  they performed an endoscopy and saw the most severe case of yeast in his esphogus that they have ever seen.  he also has ulcers down his esophogus.  he has not been able to eat in at least a week and a half, and talking is also too painful. 

his white cell count has come up a very tiny bit, which is encouraging us.  however, they have a long way to go.  they are treating his esophogus, but so far he has had no relief.  since his white cells are so low he cannot have visitors.  even his nurses have to wear masks and gloves.

scott flew in last thursday, the day that dad was admitted to the hospital.  he left yesterday to go back home.  we sure loved having him here.  and alex and hayley were here with their little boy the week before.

yesterday, as i was leaving the hospital, i asked my dad what i could do for him.  he asked me to pray specifically for his esophogus and his white blood cells, and to pass that along to others.  so, will you please join us in this prayer???

we believe in miracles.  we believe that God gives miracles, and can give us one now.  please join us in praying for healing for his esophogus, his lungs, and that his white cell count will rise up quickly.  and i am praying that my dad will be completely healed from his brain tumors.

thank you for your love and support.

2 comments:

the smiths said...

Hi Brother Holladay! Sorry to hear that you are suffering from that esophogial infection and pneumonia at the same time!! I have been praying for you- but now I will get more specific! Hope you and your darling family can hang in there through this rough time.

I just wanted to thank you for one specific lesson you taught me. This one wasn't in seminary. I can't remember who all was there but a few of us were asked to go help a young mom in the ward who had just had a baby and had a couple other little kids. She had some infection and was struggling alone because her husband had left her. I think you and another man gave her a blessing and some youth were there to help with kids/clean up and etc. I remember you pulling me aside and telling me that this was why it was so important to marry the right person at the right time in the right place. It hit me pretty hard and I think I finally got it. I'm grateful to great people like you who taught me and helped me during such a pivotal time of life.

Thanks for your wonderful example, Brother & Sister Holladay! When I grow up I want to be like you!

love, Rachel Smith

Cammie said...

Dear Brother Holladay,

I will be praying for you. While reading this post, I paused and said a prayer that your esophogus and white cell count will become healthy and that you will heal. As I was thinking about you I was filled with gratitude because I know you. I'm so glad that you were my seminary teacher and I've often shared that with others. I always knew that you loved our class and that was so important to know.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Cammie Monson